Full Results Against Wycombe Wanderers

Wycombe Wanderers made their way to Somerset Park for the first ever time on 25 July 2002 and had a comfortable 2-1 win.

Ayr United fielded the same starting line-up that had lost two days previously to Cardiff City. Unfortunately, another defeat followed, although a little more luck may have seen United take a victory from this game.

Things started off fairly even, with James Grady coming closest for Ayr when he was on the end of a slotted through pass from Sheerin. The pint-sized hitman struck it first time with his left-foot, but could only look on in disappointment as the ball clipped the outside of the ‘keeper’s left-hand post and went wide.

However, it was the visitors that took the lead with just six minutes of the half remaining. Danny Senda – Wycombe’s nippy right-back – reached the bye-line and crossed for Stuart Roberts who had the simple task of heading into an empty goal as Dodds was caught out and the defence failed to pick-up.

Gordon Dalziel made one change at half-time, removing the very impressive Scott Chaplain (who had picked up a knock just prior to the interval) and putting on trialist Craig Bingham.

This spurred Ayr to make more changes and once again the home side looked more impressive when the younger players were given their chance. Paul Lovering struck the cross-bar with a vicious left-footed drive, while the ineffective Eddie Annand had a penalty appeal turned down from the rebound, before United finally pulled a goal back through summer signing Alan McManus. The big defender flicked Lovering’s left-wing free-kick over the visiting goalie and into the corner.

Team: Dodds (Hamilton), Lyle (Black), Lovering, McManus, Campbell (Dunlop), Craig, Nicolson, Chaplain (Bingham), Annand (Kean), Grady, Sheerin.

A programme was produced for the game.


Seasons Date H/A Competition Score – Ayr First Programme Image Comments
2002/03 25/7/02 H Friendly 1-2 Yes Combined programme


Copyright © 2020 Ayr Utd Archive